Monday, July 14, 2008

Misadventures in Pop Culutre

or, "What this blog is for and about"

So this is my third attempt at a proper blog. I think my biggest issue in the past has been finding stuff to write about. I'm not one to keep a blog about my daily happenings, unless it's something terribly interesting. It won't be a place for me to bitch about school or work, because that's so cliché at this point it hurts.

What this blog will be for is an exploration of my evolution as a geek from humble beginnings as a mild-mannered 3 year old to full-fledged Graduate Student at 22. And hopefully beyond. It's a bit of a task, enumerating my many influences, but I imagine it's probably a fantastic writing exercise and a good way to find other geeks. From time to time you may see a review or commentary on something I've just read, seen, heard or made up on the spot, but mostly this will be a record of my influences.

The germ for this blog came about after I read Benjamin Nugent's American Nerd: The Story of My People. It was an interesting read (and quick). While reading it, I got to thinking about my experiences as a young geek/nerd in the 90s and early aughts. And then Bada-bum-ba! I realized this might be the best way to get my thoughts out there on geekdom and nerd culture. So that's it on the content of the blog from here on, now here's a bit of background.


About the Blogger
For as long as I can remember I've been a geek. Cartoons, music, movies, books & comics. You name it; I love it. Now I wouldn't say I'm the "classical" nerd/geek. Despite my origins in the four-color, pulp world, I was heavily shaped by the sounds of 70s punk idols like the The Damned, The Clash and SeX pIsToLs as well as early 90s grunge and punk. That's me in a nutshell. I hope you stick around to find out more.

I'm 22 years old and a recent graduate of Fordham University with a BA in Anthropology and Communications & Media Studies. In September I'll be attending Teachers College, Columbia University to study Anthropology & Education for an MA.

I'm a member of the Media Ecology Association and the American Anthropologist Association.

No comments: